Tuesday 28 January 2014

The (Vicious) Circle of Life



The job search that was going to yield a bountiful supply of offers and deliver my hearts desire has hit a roadblock. All my dreams and aspirations are being hindered by one thing. Experience. The hardest thing to obtain but with the greatest value it remains a frustration for job hunters worldwide.
 You will only be considered for a position if you have experience yet you cannot gain that experience without dong the work in said position. It is the harshest vicious circle for a graduate and one that leaves your blood virtually boiling as time and again you strive to grasp a simple opportunity in the misguided hope that it will be the vital experience that tips you over the edge and actually allows you to continue on your career path.
 The fact that I have spent sixteen years of my life in education, working towards gaining a position within the field of my choice and working my way up, is one that leaves me seething. I have never lacked for confidence and I am convinced that if giving an opportunity I would thrive and succeed. All I and a whole host of my peers in the same predicament need is to be given that chance to prove ourselves. The problem is the sheer number of people applying for just one position. There is a figurative army of applicants who need to be sieved through the system and the chance you have of being top of that list is small. Unless you have experience that is. If you are one of the lucky few whose dad's ex-business partner hands you a internship at his new company because of old loyalties then congratulations. I mean that sincerely. I wish anyone who is starting a new venture the best of luck, even if they don't necessary deserve it. They will however bear the brunt of my wrath if they waste a chance that is gifted to them on a plate with a little bow attached. For us who are struggling to break into any form of work in our desired profession that chance may very well be the Holy Grail that is experience.  
 At the end of the day, the system is the way it is and there is nothing I, or anyone else, can do about it. We simply have to endure and make sure our heads stay high enough to see and opportunity before it passes us by.
 If you as a reader are actively looking for work then go forth with my best wishes. Let's hope that karma is indeed a true factor in life and the virtual luck I send out will be returned upon me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment