Monday 6 January 2014

A Fresh Start


 For many the New Year represents a fresh start. People everywhere are setting their resolutions with the utmost desire to see them through. The problem is they rarely stick. The man trying to quit smoking will be on twenty a day by March and the Christmas gut will still be hanging around until Easter. I have always secretly felt a smidgen of contempt for people who attempt such things and fall so dramatically short. I awoke one day and realised I was vastly overweight and have been going to the gym nearly every day since that day, almost three years ago. If I can do this why can't people simply give up their vices as easily. Recently it has occurred to me that it simply isn't that easy.
 Even with sporadic work I have found it infinitely more difficult to eat well and attend the gym as often as I did at University. I have realized that when you are out in the 'real world' time is a commodity that must be used at a premium. There simply aren't enough hours in the day, an age old adage that is pertinent to everyone. I used to yearn for a timepiece like Bernard's Watch for pleasure purposes but lately I feel like I need one to get through the day.
 I give best wishes to everyone who has set a goal for 2014 and hope that busy schedules doesn't prevent them, or you if suitable, from achieving what they have set out to do.
 Personally my aims this year are to really get on the ladder of employment and grasp every opportunity that comes my way. The job search is well and truly on and I will strive to get a shot at truly succeeding if it's the last thing I do. OK, that may be a bit dramatic but the point stands. This year is one that everyone needs to take by the scruff of the neck and make sure that there are no regrets. My timeline was a buzz with people bemoaning the last twelve months and promising themselves, and the whole of Facebook, that next year will be so much greater, that all their dreams will come true. Unless they have an epiphany I fear that in three hundred and sixty days time I will see the same faces reiterating the disappointments of 2013. I will try my hardest to make sure I am not one of them.

3 comments:

  1. I like the time you posted this '07:30' i'm guessing you got up early to write this before going to work. That shows you are committed and not just talking about being committed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Courtney!
    What words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete